[pianotech] Removing a Steinway Pinblock

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun May 24 15:56:47 MDT 2009

At 17:08 -0400 24/5/09, Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft wrote:

>I know this has been discussed before, but I'm about to replace
>another Steinway pinblock and would like to find the most efficient
>and easiest way to proceed....
>
>2) The alcohol and water method. I don't know how time consuming
>this method is, but it seems to me, there wouldn't beÊtoo much
>handworkÊinvolved.

So far as I remember -- it's a while since I did this on a Steinway
-- there are no dowels holding the wrestplank to the front rail
(stretcher).  Even if there are, alcohol can be used to do the job,
and this is the cleanest and fastest way.  There is no need to mix
the alcohol with water; indeed this would probably slow things down
considerably.  If you apply pressure from beneath using a bottle jack
or equivalent and apply alcohol along the joint with a dropper or
syringe, feeding in more and more as it seeps down into the joint,
you will probably have it apart in five or ten minutes and then have
no cleaning up to do except to soften and remove the remaining glue,
using cold water repeatedly.

JD