[pianotech] Removing a Steinway Pinblock

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sun May 24 16:37:42 MDT 2009

Al

the last time I did a Steinway block, I used a circular saw,?a jigsaw, and a coping saw. I cut the block with the circular saw, using the guide of the saw along the stretcher,leaving about 3" or 4" at both ends. I then used a jig saw the cut the block where the circular saw cut was. That remove the block of the block. I then used a coping saw to cut the block through to the stretch, not only where the job saw cuts were made, but also at several intervals along the left over block,up to the stretcher. I was then able to remove those smaller sections very easily. For the end pieces along the rims,?I drilled out plugs, and popped out the small sections.

One word of caution when removing a block from before about 1900. Those blocks were glued straight to the stretcher, without a strip of veneer. The method above might not work, but?alcohol and water will soften glue, and make it easier to separate the block from?the stretcher.

I never could work a router, and although Andre's tool is probably were good, I'm just comfortable using a tool like that.

It was Tom McNeal who demonstrated using a chainsaw to remove a block, I believe at the 1991?convention in Philadelphia. Very interesting idea, but, as Paul mentioned, the fumes and noise?were a distraction. Using an electric?chain saw would be better, but you had better know how to use one before?you try it, unless you need the firewood. ?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943