[pianotech] Steinway A Bass Rescaling

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Mon May 25 22:03:40 MDT 2009

This is not of any direct relevance, but some of you may find it
interesting.  It was probably about eighteen years ago that a great niece of
William Braid White found me to take some of his old papers.  They now are
part of the PTG Foundation archives.  In the late 1940s WBW was designing
scales for the Jesse French Company.  Dr. Al Sanderson asked to see some of
his worksheets of the scales.  He studied the formulae while I watched for
fifteen minutes or so and determined that there was nothing in White's math
to figure inharmonicity.

I find it fascinating how the ideas and formulae for inharmonicity have
developed.  I don't believe that the concept of inharmonicity is mentioned
in tuning texts until sometime after the development of electronic tuning
devices.  Stretching octaves maybe, but not inharmonicity.  Wasn't the use
of early ETDs what lead to the measurement and discovery of inharmonicity?

On a more practical line, we know that longer unwound portions on a bass
string create more inharmonicity.  I find that most German grands have the
windings come real close to the bridges and agraffes.  It has always struck
me as something that was done to show a certain virtuosity on the string
maker's part.  It also creates lower inharmonicity in the bass of these
pianos which is usually a very good thing.  There are some however, where
the transition to the plain wire strings is too abrupt and perhaps the last
wound strings should have had longer unwound portions.  I observed this
quality of bass strings in a Hamburg Steinway O that I serviced last week.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

bdornfeld at earthlink.net

North Shore Chapter