[pianotech] hiring a driver

Piano Boutique pianoboutique at comcast.net
Sun Nov 1 09:00:40 MST 2009

Marshall,

I pay $7.5 per hour and $.25 per mile.   I often use seniors and sometimes college students.   I like seniors, because they are usually set and just want something to keep them busy.   I tell them that I just cant afford my expenses to rise above one third of a tuning for each tuning.   I also do the math and find that most cars get 20 miles per gallon or more and that at $.25 per mile it is well above that, giving the driver a little buffer to be generous.   I also make it clear that they need to let their insurance company know they are driving around a blind piano tuner and usually they just wave the problem.   That is important, because if you don't tell them then if there is an accident the insurance company has an out because the driver didn't have commercial insurance.   Sometimes if it falls under shofers insurance it is cheaper because a highered driver is more careful.

I tell my drivers to pay their own taxes and I don't know what the cut off point is in time highered.   If you want to do the paper work, then ask an accountant and it isn't impossible.   I did this when I did have full time employs, but I don't now.

By the way, how big is the town you live in.   If you want to make money, you have to go where the money is.   any town under a million, or metropolitan area, will not have the population for you to make big money.   I don't make big money any more, but that is my choice, because I want the small town feel.   Tallahassee has a population of 350,000 and that fits me for now.

Hope I have helped a little and remember, this is just my opinion.

William

\