[pianotech] Killing the viruses on the keys

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Thu Nov 5 01:55:55 MST 2009

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT said:

I think it would be better for us to kills
the viruses on the keys.

Hi Bruce and all,

Yesterday in a grocery/everything store, I saw a small handheld UV light which you are supposed to hold 1/2" above the item you are trying to disinfect for a couple of seconds and it will kill all bacteria, viruses, germs, and remove scotch-taped note names from the keys!

It cost $15.  I was sorely tempted for a couple of seconds (probably someone shone the light on me).

Bruce, speaking as a friend, I would rather you mist the keys with Lysol and wipe it off than take your chances on swine flu!

Maybe each of us should find one piano somewhere that wouldn't suffer much if the Lysol did do violence to it's keys, and try it out. Or even try it out on some keytops--I have some in a supplies box right next to me--I'll go do it now. With something like 900 members of pianotech, we could do extensive research in a very short time!

Diane Hofstetter