[pianotech] Killing the viruses on the keys

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Nov 5 09:15:45 MST 2009

Hi Diane.

About Lysol. For what it's worth, here at BYU we did a very small test on new keytops to see if Lysol and/or Alcohol hurt them. For 30 days we hosed down some keys with both. I've heard how the stuff ruins keytops, but we saw nothing. I repeat that this is NOT scientific, and only over a month. We made sure not to get it on the piano finish. I'm pretty sure it will ruin older keytops frrom past posts, but at least for these 10 year old plastics, in one month, no apparent damage.

Frankly, I think you can get flu germs from about anywhere, and while I take the prescribed precautions, I don't live my life worrying too much about it. I heard on the news that if a person coughs (not sneezes mind you) within 10 feet of the lids that go on soft drinks at the 7-11 then all the lids are suspect. Boy did that make me feel safe! ("Millions of germs in one cough spread for 10 feet")

Personally, the "policies" (Wash you hands, Don't spray stuff on the pianos...) we have come up with here at BYU are not so much for protection of the person, but for the pianos. I figure if I even walk down the hall of the practice rooms I've been exposed.

Best,
Jim