[pianotech] Verdigris - again

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Nov 8 19:32:16 MST 2009

Typically I just replace all the parts since all of these pianos are getting
old enough to need hammer changes anyway and if the hammers are reusable and
the customer wants them then, yes, you can pop them off and reglue them onto
the new shanks.

However, I would like to know from those who have changed the entire flange
and monitored it whether the problem returned.  And since we're sometimes
looking for ways to shortcut full replacement for the benefit of our
customers, I wonder if a few drops of thin CA glue on the birds eye might
not seal the wood or otherwise bind the contaminants (if they are there to
begin with) such that a flange replacement might be possible.

On the piano that Israel mentioned did I gather that this was an old
Steinway upright with a double flange?  A bit more complicated.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com