[pianotech] New keyframe

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 05:05:17 MST 2009

List - While I'm at it (installing new balance rail key pins), would it be
feasible for me to go one step further and just build a new keyframe
altogether? The old frame has been chewed to heck by the mice - and peed on
for 20 years or so. I've got plenty of maple that has been curing on my
lumber rack for years. Are there any tools I would need besides my table
saw, miter saw, thickness planer, router table, and drill press? I'm
thinking it would look like a fun project to do and document, but if someone
who does this on a regular basis thinks this is a foolish thing to try, just
let me know.

Otherwise, any tips on doing this up correctly would be appreciated. I'm
trying to get the entire restoration job done by mid-December, but I would
think I could turn a new keyframe out in a day in the shop. At this point,
with what I've done on the piano so far, I'm thinking why not? Or is this a
stupid idea? It wouldn't be the first. Chuck