[pianotech] New keyframe

Mike Morvan keymaestro at verizon.net
Wed Nov 11 07:55:36 MST 2009

Chuck,
    The act of making a keyframe is a very simple woodworking task. The difficulty is to accurately get the measurements off the old keyframe and duplicate them on the new frame. Any amount of error in the measurements and machining or both will be very apparent when you put the keys back on the frame, if they fit back on the frame.
    There are a handful of us in the country that offer new keyboards and the usual process is to make new keys to fit on the old keyframe. This service typically includes a new balance rail and front rail inlays. Traditionally the keys and rails can be drilled at the same time, or use CNC  to ensure proper spacing.
    Making a new set of rails or keyframe with old keys is a logistical and fixturing nightmare, the keys are separate. My advice, if your going to make a new one don't destroy the old one in the process, you may need it. Good luck, Mike

BLACKSTONE VALLEY PIANO
Michael A. Morvan
76 Sutton Street
Uxbridge, Ma 01569