[pianotech] Complete piano service, was Workload

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Nov 11 14:16:59 MST 2009

"I don't know where these guys that claim they do 5 pianos a day find
their clients -- all the ones I work on need pitch raises, repairs,
regulation, and who knows what ..." D. Nereson

Right on. There's tremendous amounts of piano service money lying
around waiting to be picked up by the complete piano service business.
I highly recommend that every tuner-technician become a complete piano
service; then the days of 5 or 6 a day, 5 or 6 days a week, fade and
become a horrific and cautionary memory.

ALL the pianos I come to need work other than tuning. I'll say it
again:  ALL the pianos I come to need work other than tuning. If you
can't understand or perceive this you need a huge reality check. You
are the equivalent of a mechanic just putting gas in the tank and
saying the car is good to go.

That may sound brutal, but it's the truth. I make six figures every
year just on piano service, and I work five weeks out of every six for
medical reasons. That means I'm getting paid a lot; and I rarely or
ever work on more than two pianos a day, and often just one.
I would say 95% of the new client pianos I come to have not had any
regular service other than tuning in their lifetime---even studios and
serious players, although the percentage in those categories is
probably lower---70%---it's enough to keep us in work here in L.A. for
the foreseeable future. Once players hear and feel the radical
positive change we make by implementing complete piano service, most
of them become grateful, elegant clients for life. It's rewarding on
all levels.

Here's my definition of complete piano service as it appears on my
website:

The ability to understand, diagnose, and implement the work necessary
to put a piano in its maximum playing condition, and keep it there,
through judicious maintenance, throughout its years of use.

Best,
David Andersen