[pianotech] Complete piano service, was Workload

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Nov 11 16:33:02 MST 2009

David, your comments are very interesting, and make me envious!  We did
have some discussion on here a year or two, about difference in
prevailing market conditions in different lands/regions.

In order for what you describe to work (which for you it obviously
does!), there has to be 1) sufficient 'population density' of pianos, of
decent enough quality to be worth spending the money on, and 2) a good
enough local economy, and a willingness of piano owners with reasonable
disposable income, to spend it on the piano.

Here in the West of Scotland there is a dearth of both!

Best regards,

David Boyce.

"That may sound brutal, but it's the truth. I make six figures every
year just on piano service, and I work five weeks out of every six for
medical reasons. That means I'm getting paid a lot; and I rarely or ever
work on more than two pianos a day, and often just one.
I would say 95% of the new client pianos I come to have not had any
regular service other than tuning in their lifetime---even studios and
serious players, although the percentage in those categories is probably
lower---70%---it's enough to keep us in work here in L.A. for the
foreseeable future. Once players hear and feel the radical positive
change we make by implementing complete piano service, most of them
become grateful, elegant clients for life. It's rewarding on all levels".