[pianotech] Action Reconditioning/Rebuilding: When is it best to replace felts?

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Wed Nov 11 19:41:26 MST 2009

I am beginning to recondition/rebuild a 1915 Steinway M action with all new
action parts (verdigris).  Now that I¹ve removed the keys for cleaning and
bushing, I have taken a close look at the frame.  While the pins look fine
(cleaning and polishing should do nicely), the felt punchings are ³ratty,²
with evidence of moth infestation.  While the front rail felts were barely
touched, the balance rail are pretty bad, with the first one or two on
either end almost gone, and even some very small holes in the ones toward
the center.  The backrail cloth also has been moth-eaten.  I could probably
³get away² with leaving it, but this is not my style or quality of work.

In the past, with one exception, I have used the original frame felts when
doing an action job, mostly because they were pianos that were only 20-30
years old, and the felts were fine, no real reason for replacing them as far
as I could see.  But this job has me wondering whether to leave felts on any
job now.  What is the thinking on this?  If you¹re charging good money for
full action reconditioning, should you be replacing the frame felts as a
matter of course, or at discretion?  The best reason I can think of for
leaving originals in place if they¹re OK is that it saves a lot of time
spent key leveling, etc..  Is this OK?

I have never replaced an isolated felt or two on a full action job, but am
now wondering whether that is ³acceptable practice?²  Certainly not ³best
practice.²  At least not for ³complete action reconditioning/rebuilding.²

Finally, when I do replace these felts, anybody have strong
feelings/recommendations about the felt I use?  I¹ll be using Steinway
hammers, shanks, flanges & wippens.  Although I¹ve got bags full of felt and
paper punchings from a major supply house, I am inclined to order punchings
and backrail cloth from Steinway because of things I¹ve read regarding
relative firmness of various punchings.  Thoughts or recommendations?

Lastly, what about the felt strip on the hammer rail?  This one seems to be
OK, but of course not ³shiny and new.²  :)  Would ³you guys² cut off the old
felt and replace with new?  That means you have to cut the new strip, since
you can¹t get it under the brackets like the original.  I have and would use
the new black strip from Steinway with the adhesive.

Does worrying about all this matter?  I was taught the visual aesthetic is
just as important as the functional.  Is that the consensus?  Do we go to
the nth degree?  Where do you draw the line?  I¹ve done a couple jobs that
really ³drowned me,² but I got results.

This is for a very high-end private client in Washington, DC, with the piano
in a spectacular cotemporary home.  The piano¹s been in the family for two,
maybe three, generations, moved around, etc.  Keytops were replaced with
plastic about 25 years ago, good job, but not much else of substance done.
Case is in very good condition, board, bridges, etc. look fine.

I¹m acquiring invaluable knowledge by monitoring and participating in the
Pianotech and CAUT lists!  Thanks to all who contribute!

Paul
--
Paul Milesi
Registered Piano Technician (RPT)