[pianotech] Complete piano service, was Workload

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Wed Nov 11 22:21:22 MST 2009

This list is awesome. I have just been thinking about doing more "service" work to get more business, when David sent this post. I finally decided that it is cheaper, and will problaby get more results, if I offer more service work to my existing cutomers, than try to get new ones.

What I intent to do is send a letter to my customers when I remind them its time to get their piano tuned, explaining that a piano needs more than just tuning. I then list all the additional services I can provide, like cleaning and/or polishing the case, vacuuming under the keys, cleaning under the strings, etc, not to mention action regulation.

The reason I want to send the customer a letter first is to give them a chance to think about what they would like to have done, and maybe talk it over with their spouse. For instance, when we were going to have our carpets cleaned, the company sent us a letter explaining what they were going to do, and what our responsibilities would be. But they also included a coupon for duct cleaning. My wife asked me if that was going to be OK, and I said yes. If they had offered the duct cleaning the carpet were cleaned, she would have said no. In an other instance, when we had a room painted, the painter also offered to paint the garage doors. Since my wife had not been asked ahead of time, she said no.

So, thanks, David, for the advice. I might be able to make it to Vegas, after all.

Wim