[pianotech] Complete piano service, was Workload

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 12 15:50:58 MST 2009

That's exactly right.  I've been working for 30 years on bringing in the
better clientele, bringing in better quality pianos although, I think we
still all tune whatever may come along at times.  I do.  It's hard to turn
people away but I do when the time is right and do not when it isn't.
Because of this shall we say, 'edging' toward those with more disposable
income and higher quality pianos, we are consequently not hit nearly as hard
as those that have lower quality instruments in a recession like Michigan
has had since about the year 2000.  We also get less of those that are not
worth repairing and less of those that cannot or will not repair them.

I have a friend that just tells his customers.  "I am a full service
technician.  Either you fix the piano or, you call someone else."  Of
course, he tells this to clients that own Steinway's or similar product
levels but, it works for him.  I'm not quite that crass but I do get my
point across by often telling them that if a professional would not want to
play on it, why should I, or your child?

Jer