[pianotech] question about a missing bass string

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Thu Nov 12 16:51:05 MST 2009

Marshall:

If you can find a way to measure you can get the dimensions of the matching string on that unison.  You need the diameter of the core wire, the diameter of the wrapped section, the length from the hitch pin to the wrap, and the length from the hitch pin to the end of the wrap.

I've never met a universal string that I liked.  They are particularly bad in a bichord as the universal will never match the string that is there.  Of course replacing both strings is even better because normally the new and the old will sound bad together.  Since this is a school, I'd surely try to get them to replace both.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>