[pianotech] Tuning arm problems

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 11:37:07 MST 2009

Hi Julia,
"Been There Done That"! Epicondylitis, although mine is advanced to
epicondylosis (not mere inflammation of the elbow tendons, but breakdown of
the tissue).
Get as much therapy (massage, ultrasound treatment, special exercises) as
your insurance plan allows. Appropriate anti-infammatories as necessary.
I was prescribed an EpiTrain elbow brace (manuf. Bauerfeind), which helps a
great deal. I try to wear it whenever I'm working, at the gym, etc.
After 30 years of tuning lefty, I'm doing 80-90% of my tuning right handed.
Even with that, doing test blows with my left hand is painful so I usually
use Charles Faulk's key striker. ETD, ear plug-filters, sometimes I feel
like the Cyborg piano technician!
Patrick Draine