[pianotech] Tuning arm problems

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 15 12:28:17 MST 2009

Julia:I have had elbow problems and back problems related to overuse and poor tuning posture. Tendon problems always seem to take months to completely heal, even with treatments. I tried acupuncture this year, which did accelerate the healing. Resting is still an important ingredient. To allow my right arm to rest (I am right-handed) I tuned as much as possible with my left hand. I trained myself to tune uprights as often as possible with my left hand, as well as using an impact hammer. Tuning grand with the left hand did slow me down, but I picked up speed as time went along, and allowed my right arm to recuperate. Alternate use of both hands, and changing posture regularly all help. I took a class in at a Convention several years back that demonstrated the importance of correct posture while tuning, which helped me to be aware of how I use my body.
Good luck,
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician