[pianotech] Tuning arm problems

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun Nov 15 11:44:42 MST 2009

I don't have a tennis elbow sort of condition... just 57-yr-old
elbows/arms/etc.  Almost a year ago I went from a Schaff Rosewood Tuning
Lever to a new Charles Faulk CF-A2 lever. The "balled" end give more, and
more comfortable (to me) gripping positions. The lighter weight, which
doesn't look like much on paper, really makes an incredible difference in
the amount of work you and your limbs) need to do over the course of just
one tuning, much less the 7 or 12 that some of us (luckier??? ones) do in a
day.

I wasn't aware of the CF key striker... I'll go check that out right now!

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Gerald Groot <tunerboy3 at comcast.net>wrote:
<snip>

> *Instead of grabbing the tuning hammer with your fingers only, turn your
> hand around and grab it similar to a bass ball bat, grasping it with a
> closed hand position with your hand turned over, palm facing more towards
> the treble section of the piano pointing upwards.  Wrap your hand around the
> tuning hammer and pull on it in this fashion rather than yanking on it or
> bump it down or up.   Possibly an impact hammer would be helpful as well.
> *

</snip>