[pianotech] Kimball Console Action Holddown Screws

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Nov 15 18:04:46 MST 2009

John Ross wrote:
> *If you or someone else has damaged the heads of the screws, don't
> compound the problem, by using the same screws.*
> *Install new ones, of a type and size, which will lessen the problem in
> the future.*

I don't think that I've ever had to pull one of these actions
twice. I lube the original screws pretty thoroughly, drive
them back in by HAND (doing no more damage spinning a bit in
the head), and presume that the next guy that pulls the action
in another twenty years or so will benefit from the lubricated
screws. What I won't do is carry replacements for the once
every five year time this comes up, nor make a $75 trip to the
hardware store, killing an hour, to replace them with
something no better functionally than was there. Just make it
possible to get the damned things in and out without further
trashing them (if you can get them out in the first place),
and you've rendered appropriate service to the customer.

Ron N