[pianotech] Kimball Console Action Holddown Screws

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Nov 15 20:05:09 MST 2009

John Ross wrote:
> I thought I had read that the heads were slightly damaged.
> But then again, I have had mis-thoughts before. :-(
> Sometimes, I have just managed to get a damaged screw out, and it goes back
> in fine, because, I am bearing against, the undamaged part of the screw.

I've found that the damage was done in the driving, spinning
the bit in the head with a power tool, so getting it back in
(and seated) will likely be harder than getting it out. If
lubricating it will allow it to go back in by hand, it'll
likely come back out at least as easily - someday.

> am thinking of mainly Phillips. But the next guy/gal might have a problem,
> trying to remove them.

Yes, they're Phillips. It's tough to spin a bit in a slotted
or Robertson screw to the point that they're hard to remove. A
large part of the problem removing them is that they were
installed so bloody tight that the bit spun in the head in the
first place. Hence the lubrication. If that doesn't make it
possible, then you replace them at whatever expense is incurred.

> Naturally, if the head were undamaged, I would lubricate and replace.
> Sometimes a damaged head can be made better with a hacksaw or file.

There's no such thing as an undamaged Kimball screw. It's like
Nessie or Elvis sightings. The point is, how perfect does the
head have to be to get the screw back in or out the VERY few
times this will be necessary in the piano's lifetime? If
lubrication will enable this with the existing screw, why
spend the customer's money for chasing down replacement screws
that won't do anything the originals don't?

I seem to be in an extremely narrow minority here.
Ron N