[pianotech] Tuning arm problems - bursa

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Mon Nov 16 07:30:02 MST 2009

As it has been explained to me, the bursa is the lubricating goo in our
joints. Depletion of the bursa results in a lack of lubrication, thus
pain, inflammation and spasms. If we have pain/inflammation/spasms in a
joint, it is normal for us to want to limit any movement of that joint.
Unfortunately, regular movement of the joint is what replaces or
regenerates the bursa. Deliberately limiting movement to avoid joint
pain actually exacerbates the problem as the bursa continues to deplete.
Often, lack of movement (lack of physical activity generally) is what
allows the bursa to deplete which causes the pain in the first place. My
physical therapist liked to say "motion is lotion", meaning that low
resistance motion is the best treatment for sore/stiff joints, providing
of course that no permanent physical damage has occurred. This knowledge
has greatly helped me work through a number of bouts of frozen elbows
shoulders and knees, avoiding cortisone injections and pain killers.
Simply working the joint "through the pain" has ultimately given me back
pain-free use of my joints.

This is just my own experience. Medical professionals may point out
flaws in my reasoning.

Phil

--

  /Artist Piano Care/
E X C E L L E N C E ~ F I N E LY  T U N E D

web: www.artistpianocare.ca
    tel: 416-907-3562
    cel: 905-626-3727
   phil at artistpianocare.ca