[pianotech] Tuning arm problems: There is no instant cure

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 16 08:51:22 MST 2009

I was actually considering surgery for this  ten years ago because the pain was so intense that I didn't think I would be able to continue tuning (or stringing).  Clair had just completed his massage therapy training and happened to stop in to the shop and tell me about the Thera-Cain.  I ordered one and Clair spent time explaining the theory of why it should work and showing me which trigger points to work.  It's not an instant cure.  He asked me to commit to the therapy for 2 weeks, working the points several times a day, and I agreed. By the end of the 1st week I was ready to bag it because in addition to not experiencing relief from the injury, now I had several trigger spots that were painful and sensitive from the Thera-Cain.  I reluctantly continued because Clair had become a bit of an evangelist for trigger point therapy.  He had reached a pain threshold wall to the point of not being able work and experienced complete relief from the therapy.  To my amazement, all of the pain went away in the 2nd week of treatment and has never returned.

Michael Spreeman
www.RavenscroftPianos.com