[pianotech] gated communities

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Fri Nov 20 11:46:59 MST 2009

There is one gated community I go to frequently. I have to show my work order and my driver's licence, which they put on a little box. I don't know what that's for, but it must "read" something, before they open the gate. One time I forgot my wallet. I pleaded with the guard to call the lady to le me in. He said he didn't time to do that, and since there were people waiting behind me, ordered to me to drive on. So I continued, and when to the customer's house. 30 minutes later there was a knock on the door, and it was "security". They spent 30 minutes hunting me down, just to tell me that I wasn't allowed to do that. The customer was understanding, but also defended the guard, by saying they pay for security to keep out "undesirables".

Just be lucky you don't have to go on a military base. Here in Hawaii we have 5 of them, and at each one, you not only have to show your work order and driver's license, you also have to show proof of insurance, car registration, and a current car inspection report. Then they fill out a form, that you have to sign. At one base, they won't even allow you through  unless the customers has called the gate authorizing you to get on the base.

The value of the home has absolutely no bearing on the condition or value of the piano. I've tuned  high quality 7' grands in some of the ugliest looking homes, and low level, painted spinets, in some of the most luxurious homes. go figure.

Wim