[pianotech] Worst Kawaii ever

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Nov 25 01:17:43 MST 2009

Ran into a Kawaii upright yesterday that had to be the worst newer piano
I have encountered ... ever really.  A K-12 something or another.
Totally untuneable bass scale. Virtually ever wound string had wacked
out para-inharmonicity of a degree I've only run into in some of those
wonderful boxes I first tuned back in the states with names like Story
and Clark, Wurlitzer, etc.  This was as bad as anything ever.  Only 6
years old.  Not one single bass unision had anything even close to
matching partials ladders... and in anycase nothing matched partials of
intervals above in the unwound section. No use using an ETD.... it just
got confused :):) Didnt know any of the larger companies were capable of
producing such a POJ in this day and age.

It had also had jiffy weights installed... downweight with the damper
pedal depressed was like 90 grams... ya gots to wonder :)

Cheers
RicB