[pianotech] Regulating drop

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 25 18:22:12 MST 2009

Chuck,

I too was in that class and it has changed the way I understand regulation for the better.  I can not answer your question about the purpose of drop (remember in class they said "drop affects nothing").  I can say that they emphasized simultaneous escapement and most importantly "aftertouch".  I feel that the aftertouch issue was the crux of the class.  If you can get that to feel just right for the pianist then you get what they emphasized too....a completely even touch across the keys.  All of this starts with a level keyboard and proceeds from there but aftertouch is the key to a beautiful regulation according to the class and I agree.

I would say don't sweat what drop is...just know you need to have it in some measure.  As the class said..first make it work and then refine, refine, refine until you have an action that responds to the best of it's ability in the condition it is in.

Best wishes,

Steven Hopp

PianoWorks Studio

Midland, TX

432-770-7473

P.S.  the little gauge we received is great but i have found that I like a firm pressure on the gauge to cause let off to happen.  It seems to give the right amount of aftertouch for me and those I have regulated for using it.  SH