[pianotech] Regulating drop

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Nov 25 19:40:37 MST 2009

 Chuck asked:

> I guess my question is "what's the purpose of drop?" Israel Stein says "so you know you have letoff". Will too large a drop effect repetition? Will it also effect the touch of the piano?

   Drop keeps the hammer out of the strings.    I like to set the drop so that with the key depressed firmly, the hammer is at the same height as let-off, which, in concert level work, is set to just avoid the maximum excursion zone of the string. It is often the case that setting an action up like this synchronizes the contact  of the tender  and drop screw to their respective surfaces.  Often times, it doesn't.  I don't alter the jack's placement to synch them together, since they have already been put in their optimum place  under the knuckles.
      I don't give much weight to synchronizing the contact timing, since when set this close, any staggering of the onset of  resistance actually assists more effortless escapement, and the difference in contact is going to be quite small. In comparison to the consistency requirements of  let-off and aftertouch, drop is not that big a player,   pianists will overlook varying drop distances but notice changes of aftertouch or let-off.
   If there is a spring strong enough to exhibit recoil in the keys, more drop will probably be needed to insure against bobbling hammers.  Then, at the point of let-off, where the pianist is striving from maximum control, tthere is excessive resistance from the spring, an it is occuring earlier than necessary.  Compare this to a softer spring and closer drop and you will feel an action that is easier to play softly. The former is more durable, the latter more sensitive and higher maintenance. We take our choices.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT