[pianotech] Regulating drop

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Nov 27 17:43:14 MST 2009

It's all a circle of refinement as I was once taught!  Any tech who thinks
a once through all the regulation steps makes a great piano will be sadly
mistaken!  Personally, even though I really don't like doing the rep
springs, I do them early in the first reg. pass...not exact, but just to
make sure they're not too weak or really strong and springy. the drop
screw is one of my favorite parts.  i don't know why this is but I like
doing it!  I need to feel the "bump" when all associated parts meet. Then
after all the other steps are done, re-check the springs near the end.
Then, I run through it all again.  The second (sometimes third) time is
very quick. This is especially true when I've installed new repetitions
(wips).  They're nearly always too strong making the first pass a waste of
time without first checking spring strength. Also, a proper key-height and
dip done correctly...up front in the process... will help out a lot with
the speed in which one can do a great regulation. Key dip is very
noticable to great pianists.  Blow distance, let off, and drop are also
very important, but to the pianist, there's a feel of how far he/she
presses the key that will be most noticable, therefore, I like this very
solid before setting a good let-off, drop, and aftertouch.

And always, before we start, properly bed the keyframe! Not just glide
bolts, but front rail AND back rail!  I think this step is sometimes
overlooked or forgotten by some techs who need some more schoolin'. but
maybe i'm just preaching to the choir!

Happy weekend, all.
Paul