[pianotech] Lyre Damage

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 26 19:21:12 MST 2009

At the Anaheim Institute a couple of years ago, I went to the moving class.
The instructor was from Texas, and moves hundreds of pianos every month. The
story goes that early on, one of the dealers he moved pianos for asked if he
used the lyre when moving grands. The mover responded he didn't always, as
he was afraid of breaking the lyre. The dealer told him he should always use
the lyre as it was safer and more controllable. And, if the mover ever broke
one, he the dealer would pay for the repair. "For your pianos, I
understand." "No," says the dealer. "For any piano you ever move."

I have always moved pianos as part of my business. My mentor would sometimes
use the lyre, sometimes not. I currently move two to five pianos a week,
with the assistance of (!) my wife. I eventually made myself a wooden crutch
to lift the bass end enough to remove the leg and lyre, and didn't use the
lyre for many years. After that class I decided to rethink my procedures. I
make a choice for each piano on a case by case basis. Size, weight,
structure, previous damage, and number of helpers go into the decision. Made
up some 2X4 carpeted blocks to protect the lyre and the floor. Using a
smattering of God-given intelligence and experience, I have had no problems.

Smaller (5') pianos are light enough that I can lower them by myself. They
often have slimmer lyres, and sometimes less glue. Crutch is usually chosen.

Mid-size (5'6" to 6"+) are often heavy enough that the benefit out weighs
the risk, and other than tilting, I don't need someone else around to help
handle the piano. Many pianos in this range are better made all around, and
the lyre is usually pretty husky. Lame, curvy, artsy lyres are not used. Its
obvious!

Large (6'6" and above) I will always have more help on hand to deal with the
weight, and will rarely use the lyre. With a nine foot grand, it just seems
like too much to ask of a lyre. Get the custodians to help, whoever.

I love the statement about no old, dumb movers. I'll take smart and gentle
any day.

David Stocker, RPT
Fir Tree Piano
Tumwater, WA