[pianotech] Lyre Damage/wheel orientation

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Fri Nov 27 12:37:23 MST 2009

Ron,

Hey, are you experimenting on my D?? <G>

While you're at it, I'd be interested in what Don Mannino says about wheel (caster) orientation. While the wheels (The larger brass wheels) point out, how much do they change the keybed vs. pointing in? Don says it changes regulation, and I think it does, especially on some pianos. But how much? From what you found with the lyre (only .02" difference!) I wonder if caster orientation may be a factor not considered in previous posts. IOW, if this DOES make a big difference and was not taken into consideration maybe all previous measurements (not yours) were bogus, or suspect. Ya think?

Best,
Jim

<<<If one was interested in learning something, one should be so
inclined as to attempt to find out. I just now did that, on a
NY D, with a straightedge and punchings.>>>

Ron N