[pianotech] Regulating drop

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Nov 26 19:47:41 MST 2009

In a message dated 11/26/2009 1:07:23 P.M. Central Standard Time,
wimblees at aol.com writes:

The term  "drop" is a misnomer.
I agree. Just as "dip" is, and should be likely be called "key travel" or
"front key travel".

We  regulate the "drop" screw so that it touches the top of the balancier
to  coincides with the tail of the jack hitting the let off  button.
We might.

At that  point, the jack starts it's escape from the knuckle, and the
balancier is  getting out of the way of the knuckle, to allow the hammer to
travel freely  towards the string.
This is actually a misleading characterization of the events. If the  jack
tender contact on the let-off button and rep lever contact with the drop
screw are simultaneous (which might likely be ideal), then the two
(con)sequential events are the process of jack escapement leading to  let-off, and the
process of rep lever rotation leading to a highest  possible position of
the rep lever after let-off. The rep lever also continues  to rise after
contact with the drop screw but at the fulcrum (rep lever center)  since the
whippen is still rising, and does not lose contact with the  knuckle. At the
point of jack escapement, the knuckle loses contact with  the jack top and rep
lever both, thrown to the string on its own momentum. It is  important to
hold in mind the "simultaneous" nature of  the escapements, and the sequential
nature of the results of the  escapements--let-off, then drop. The other so
far unaddressed result is  that the hammer on a medium or hard blow into
check, then released, will rise to  the position of the drop dimension from
the string being raised by  the "properly" sprung rep lever which is regulated
to the drop  dimension. Obviously all sorts of the things can go wrong with
such close  tolerances--spring regulation, check regulation, etc.

We  measure this by seeing how much the hammer "drops" after letoff. The
closer we can get that relationship, the better it feels for the  pianist.
The more accurate name of the drop screw should be. "The  button that gets
the balancier out of way".
Again, mischaracterized, and better (and not my language) "the repetition
lever upstop screw". The so-called drop screw does not get the lever out of
the way, but more aptly positions it in the proper way for the knuckle to
return and for efficient repetition.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.