[pianotech] Regulating drop and controlling semantic drift

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Nov 26 19:54:13 MST 2009

In a message dated 11/26/2009 2:18:41 P.M. Central Standard Time,
surfdog at metrocast.net writes:

We  actually regulate letoff to be outside the string vibrational
envelope,  and then if drop is correctly regulated in relation to letoff,
the desired  result is achieved automatically. I know this is just
semantics - but it  is important to be very precise in one's language
when trying to teach  beginners - or all kinds of misunderstandings can
occur.
I don't think that it is just semantics but a much needed clarification of
the issue, and one not beyond the ken of beginners. We shouldn't fear the
complications when presenting them, and just this sort of clarification is
much  to be desired.