[pianotech] call-backs you can't charge for

Carl Teplitski koko99 at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 26 20:26:06 MST 2009

When I was a very young man begining to service electronic instruments,
 I worked with an " older " tech. who had been into TV service , previous to
being hired by my co.  He warned me to be wary of clients who almost
begged you to look at an instrument nobody else seemed able to repair,
or even wanted to get involved with.  He said that it was probably a problem
not easily fixed, and once you got involved, you become married to it.
Reason
for difficulty to repair it was probably because it was of poor quality, or
there
were too many things wrong with it. Client , of course just wants it
working,
and it doesn't have to be perfect, but soon as you start, now he wants more
and more done.  As you've already charged a fee for initial work, he didn't
expect to be charged again, and now he finds many things which he thought
would be done to start with.  There is no way you can remind him that he
just
wanted  it working, not perfect. Very conveniently forgot the early
conversation.
You end up doing much work gratis, just to get rid of him.  He finally lets
you
off the hook, and seems  satisfied, and says that he will tell all his
friends
what great work we do, and if he has anymore problems, will use our service
again.
He called me later,  for work on his next problem, not related, and I
politely told him
to go to someone else, because I couldn't afford to work for him. He was
quite hurt,
and couldn't understand why. I heard that another tech. actually thru him
out of his
shop after some dispute similar to mine.      Served him right, but he
didn't get it.
Got to where nobody in the area would bother with him.  He had to send his
work
out of town. I've had 2 or 3 of these types in 50 years of service and
tuning, but I
remember them , because they effect you adversly, if you care .

Carl / Winnipeg.