[pianotech] To Don, Mark, and Roger. Was Jeannie, etc.

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Fri Nov 27 12:04:04 MST 2009

 Most of this time was
ncompensated by the manufacturer, which meant that I was doing it for free
n just about every piano that came into my store.

William

Manufacturers usually do not reimburse dealers for prep work in their stores. The only thing manufacturers reimburse for are blatant flaws in the manufacturing process, like scratches, broken parts, etc. Prepping a piano is supposed to be done by the dealer, and comes out of the profit the dealer makes from the piano. But because most dealers do not prep their pianos, we get to do it in the customer's home, and it becomes a "warrantee" issue, which is supposed to be paid by the dealer. But since most dealers do not seem to understand the concept of "prepping" a piano, they assume it is a manufactures "flaw", and expect them to pay for it.  And round and round we go.

As far as you claiming you did not get"paid" to do the prep work, it is presumed that you were able to sell the piano for a little more money because it was properly prepped. So in a sense you did get paid for it.

Wim