[pianotech] To Don, Mark, and Roger. Was Jeannie, etc.

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Fri Nov 27 23:35:54 MST 2009

The reason the car dealer has to show how much the dealer prep is, might be due, in part, because of the some legal requirements by the state. It not only has to list the gas mileage, but the dealer also has to show the base price for the car, the add on's, and other items the customer is paying for, like transportation, prep, undercoating, etc.

Since piano dealers aren't even required to show the MSRP on a piano, they can ask any price, and sell it for whatever the traffic will bare. If they did add on "prepping", customers will probably just negotiate that out of the price they pay, either expecting the dealer to pay for it, or not wanting it in the first place, since they don't know what it means.  Then they call us 5 years later, and wonder why we have to charge them $500 to tune and regulate the piano.

Wim