[pianotech] Regulating drop

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 27 13:36:57 MST 2009

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:40:42 EST  PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com

Paul,

I thought it was necessary to clarify this. I have run into too many
experienced technicians who apparently do not realize that this hammer
"jump" that we induce during regulation is not something that is
expected to happen during the normal functioning of the piano and say
things like "the function of the repetition spring is to bring the
hammer up from check" and the like. I have actually heard that said by a
veteran technician during a chapter meeting - who was very surprised to
hear me contradict him. He figured it out, eventually... So I like to
clarify that point whenever I see a potential for ambiguity - especially
when inexperienced technicians are present...

Israel Stein