[pianotech] Regulating drop

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Nov 27 17:08:15 MST 2009

Well and good.

In a message dated 11/27/2009 2:37:39 P.M. Central Standard Time,
custos3 at comcast.net writes:

Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:40:42 EST  _PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com_
(mailto:PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com)

Paul,

I  thought it was necessary to clarify this. I have run into too many
experienced  technicians who apparently do not realize that this hammer "jump"
that we  induce during regulation is not something that is expected to happen
during  the normal functioning of the piano and say things like "the
function of the  repetition spring is to bring the hammer up from check" and the
like. I have  actually heard that said by a veteran technician during a
chapter meeting -  who was very surprised to hear me contradict him. He figured it
out,  eventually... So I like to clarify that point whenever I see a
potential for  ambiguity - especially when inexperienced technicians are
present...

Israel Stein

That is an appropriate clarification of what I said. The general
"technician touch" regulation is of course not the pianists' touch. I  assumed we
were talking about regulation, not pianism.

Paul

In a message dated 11/27/2009 9:36:36 A.M. Central Standard Time,