[pianotech] Oversized tuning pins

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sun Nov 29 20:16:05 MST 2009

So, from my original post can I get a couple of second opinions as to the best way to deal with the current situation?

David,  says zap'em and smoke'em.  Marcel recommended  a drop of Protek  (CLP?) at the base of each pin.

As I'm still a newbie, I feel somewhat uncomfortable using a zapper.  I'm also not keen on attempting to use David Doremus' great idea of loosening the tension, remove the becket, back the pins out with a drill, becket back in, and re-set the pin.  I think it's a great idea, but I'm just not at that level yet.

So, I'm thinking the Protek might be my best bet in the short run.  Will this affect or negate other possibilities or options at a later date by using the Protek now?

It's not a high end piano (a 1957 Hensel 5' or so) and the owner wishes he'd kept the money he spent on the restringing and put it towards a new piano, so I doubt he's going to want to do something expensive. But it's practically un-tuneable the way it is, and he recognizes this.

Thanks,

Rob McCall
McCall Piano Service, LLC
Murrieta, CA