[pianotech] O.T. What do you do to keep fit?

Larry Fisher RPT larryf at pacifier.com
Mon Nov 30 10:00:21 MST 2009

SITTING in the office developing my schedule for the day, answering phone
calls, etc., then SITTING in the car driving to calls, and SITTING on the
piano bench tuning.  SITTING doesn't burn off much fat.  Weeks/months/years
of this creates FAT clusters in places that wiggle and jiggle me off
balance.

All that extra tonnage came in handy when moving pianos but my aging frame
is getting an attitude and I've got to listen to it's message.  I expecially
hate turning suddenly to look to the left or right only to have my rotunda
respond two tenths of a second later throwing me off balance.

I used to backpack my jiggly parts away but then I got older.  Cartilage
doesn't grow back.  I've lost about two inches in altitude and gained about
30 pounds of storage capacity.  I don't have time to backpack my body back
in shape and so I've learned to eat differently.  It took a bit of
perseverence but I've succeeded in retraining my head and breaking bad
habits ...........  like start the car, stop at a fast food location and get
something to eat (wrong), or if it's on my plate or the buffet table, eat it
(wrong), lots of raw veggies and precious little meat has worked for me.  In
short, diet makes my belly shrink and I can still SIT here and peck at my
keyboard and browse through my backpacking images.

Now I kayak all over the place and play in my yard creating a railroad
empire.  It's lighter exercise and costs about the same as backpacking.
Once in awhile I help remove dead fall and blow down off the trails in the
mountains in wilderness areas where power tools aren't allowed.  Granted
that's good exercise but I can't keep that up long enough to burn off a
years worth of SITTING and enjoying the flavors of FFFAAAATTTT!!

If ya can't reach the tuning pins, ya probably can't reach the floor.  I
hate that when dunlap gets in the way.