[pianotech] Tuning pin height

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Oct 2 09:26:01 MDT 2009

Israel Stein wrote:
> I don't believe that Ron Nossaman - who was the first to express the
> opinion here that lined up beckets don't matter - can hardly be accused
> of "rarely doing the best work".

Ah, understanding. It's not a binary thing, as these
discussions typically revert to instantly. Beckets that are
not precisely (perfectly) aligned aren't therefor sloppy, nor
are they necessarily random or indicative of lack of
knowledge, skill, or care elsewhere. Of what functional
difference is a pin with a becket pointing 10° off from it's
neighbor? None that anyone can detect other than visually. If
that qualifies as sloppy and uncaring, there are only three
pianos per year in the world being competently and caringly
rebuilt, likely by accident. I, shockingly enough, do actually
make an attempt to keep the beckets in reasonable alignment
(photo of what's in the shop now), but I consider insistence
of absolute perfection in something as functionally
meaningless as this to be a waste of energy when there are so
very many things we can be working to improve that do matter.
If the photo is of a sloppy job, then I'm sloppy.

>And when rebuilding pianos in an
> institutional setting on salary one must always engage in triage, due to
> constraints on time and resources,  pay attention to things that affect
> function and sometimes forget about one's "pride".

It's a bit different for an independent. We don't have time to
waste either, as the pay is tied to the job rather than the
calendar. Still, there are too many times when we spend much
longer doing a fixed pay job than we intended, just because we
aren't satisfied with the outcome. Each job that goes out
represents us to entirely different people in totally
uncontrolled ways.

> Obsessing over insignificant details may sometimes
> prevent one from paying attention to significant ones, especially in
> time-sensitive situations.

This is, of course, the point.
Ron N