[pianotech] Tuning pin height

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Oct 2 09:58:33 MDT 2009

I wrote:

>>     As far as hammers and backchecks lining up, those are elements in
>> function, and I do think they are important, even if I allow a mm or
>> so alteration in blow distances between hammers to even out action
>> geometry.
Israel replies:

> Precisely. Things that matter an awful lot... If  lining up beckets is
> considered on the same level of importance as hammer and backcheck
> alignment - than someone has a rather screwed up value system...

I also said:
"A worker that has no pride rarely does the best work."

To which Israel replies:

"I don't believe that Ron Nossaman - who was the first to express the
opinion here that lined up beckets don't matter - can hardly be accused
of "rarely doing the best work". "

???????? What a huge leap of sideways
logic!? It was never posited that these considerations were equal in
value.? An equally absurd connection is made with the following
sentence:

"Ron was pointing out that he didn't worry about exact becket alignment. That hardly qualifies for "having no pride" in his work."

? ? ? My post was not personally directed at Nossman, but at what I have seen in the trade in general.? There is no need for anyone to try to link the two. Israel, this is an example of taking a general observation, stretching it out to the extreme, and then inferring it was aimed at someone. Doesn't do anybody an good.

Ed Foote RPT