[pianotech] Warranties

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 18:10:31 MDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM, <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

> David
>
> Yes, an attorney would be best to consult in this case. But it seems that
> if the customer thinks the dealer sold a piano that is not in the condition
> the dealer claimed it was, it could be grounds for fraud. The only way to
> judge if the piano is defective, is to have another tuner evaluate it. If
> that evaluation includes tuning the piano, then the warrantee has
> been voided But if the piano was not in the condition the customer was lead
> to believe it was, then it refers back to the fraud part. In either case,
> the warrantee is voided, and the customer can make a claim against the
> dealer. It will be up to the dealer to decide if he wants to enforce the
> warrantee claim, or make a "deal" with the customer to keep from going to
> trial.
>
> Are you just speculating on a possible case here, or is there a situation
> where this scenario is actually taking place?
>
>  Wim

Baldwin did it for years, sort of. I live in a 2 store town and whenever I
ran across a warranty issue on a Baldwin(back when Baldwin was Baldwin)if I
wasn't working for the dealer or hadn't been to "Baldwin school" I had to
turn it over to the dealer.
After I went through this a few times I just referred the customers to the
dealer when I ran across a warranty problem because I wasn't going to waste
my time with the run around from Baldwin. I also wasn't going ot jack up my
phone bill, for years they refused to have a toll free number for technical
service, you had to call them on your dime.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404