[pianotech] Coils (was: Beckets)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 7 19:44:38 MDT 2009

Ron and all,

My conjecture (and it's just a conjecture) is that this is a legacy
thing from older instruments (harpsichords and early fortepianos) -
before the tuning pin with a hole through was invented. Those early
tuning pins were basically  headless nails with one end flattened for
the tuning tool (whatever they called it). The way the wire stays on the
tuning pin is by winding enough coils over the end of the wire for the
friction to keep it in place. That's still done on  harpsichord replicas
that are "historically (or as Bill Dowd called it "hysterically")
accurate".

Now, with modern piano wire 3-4 coils take up very roughly 1/4" on the
tuning pin. That's about how much wire (at a minimum) you have to wind
over a hole-less pin to keep it all in place (of course, much thinner
wire, a lot more coils). So when the "pin with a hole" came into use,
they just kept winding as much wire on it as "looked right" without
thinking about whether or not it was really necessary. (By the way,
anyone know when the "pin with a hole" got invented?)  This may be a
total fantasy - but it sounds plausible.

Israel Stein

From:
Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:38:28