[pianotech] the mystery continues

Avery Todd ptuner1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 02:58:17 MDT 2009

Marshall,

I'm assuming you've checked that the actual damper lift timing with the
spoon is at app. half blow of the hammer. When you had the action out, did
you also check to see if the spoon is centered on the damper tail?
Since the note plays on a soft and medium blow, it almost sounds like the
spoon is right at the very edge of the tail and on a hard blow is skipping
out from behind the tail and letting the damper fall back to the string. But
if that were the case, it seems like it would have trouble getting back
behind the damper tail to play the next time. It seems like it would really
have to just BARELY be catching the tail.

OK, I'm just "thinking out loud here", as it were. Just like it's hard for
you to describe, it's hard for me to try and diagnose without seeing/hearing
the thing. <grin> OK, this is just a shot in the dark but I haven't seen
anything mentioned along this line.

Also, as a long-gone tech, Aubrey Willis, told me when I was first beginning
40+ yrs. ago, "if one note isn't working correctly, compare it to the notes
around it that are working correctly and see if you can find *anything *that
is different between the two." That advice helped me numerous times when I
was first beginning. Still does sometimes. Hope this will be of some help in
some way.

Avery Todd
Houston, TX