[pianotech] Interested in having my Yamaha U1 voiced

Tyler Ferrari tylerferrari at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:02:17 MDT 2009

I hear the overtones when I play as well. It's inherent to the piano (or the string), I believe. I can tolerate it when I'm playing because it adds some character, but if the erratic high partials in the lower strings disappeared, I wouldn't complain. It's especially annoying in recordings. I've been told that studio pianos are often voiced to remove a lot of these partials. Whether this is true or not, I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me given the fact that I'm currently complaining about their annoyance-factor.

I'm using 2x AKG 3000B mics in stereo behind or under the front of the piano, depending on what I'm doing. I'm going to be picking up a set of AKG C214 mics to try them out.

Thanks all for your replies on this thread. Much appreciated.