[pianotech] Squeaking soft "creaking" pedal problem

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Tue Sep 1 20:20:54 MDT 2009

Gerald,

I just fixed a creak in a nearly new Steinway B. The sound was coming
from the action and when I looked up at where the shift pedal lever
pushed on the key frame, I could see the wood being crushed by the lever
as the pedal was depressed.

The fix was to router/chisel an area in the frame and epoxy in a new
piece of oak, about 1-1/2" x 2", to present a new, solid surface to the
shift lever, followed by planing and sanding to size.

Tom Cole