[pianotech] Tuning wrench tip threads?

Jack Reisland reislandj001 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Sep 2 23:02:35 MDT 2009

1/8" tapered pipe thread is based on the plumbing industry standard
that has no reference to the actual dimension of the pipe. For
example, an 1/8" pipe is actually 13/32" outside diameter. I have no
idea why they use these standards. The pipe threads are tapered so
that they tighten as they are screwed together. I fear I need a metal
lathe to turn a matched tapered thread.

Best Regards, Jack Reisland