[pianotech] Test Blows

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Thu Sep 3 16:32:50 MDT 2009

As Paul says, having good technique is the important thing. But what is
good technique is the question and the answer difficult to put into
words when it is largely an intuitive process, changeable as we adapt to
different conditions, different pianos.

The hard pounding style of tuning probably comes from tuners who worked
in, or learned from tuners who worked in, the factories. Hard pounding
is needed to settle the new strings, although nowadays factories like
Yamaha have a nice machine that does that in a soundproofed room.

Another situation is a piano that is below pitch where pounding can help
equalize tension from tuning pin to hitch pin. Once string settling and
pitch adjustment has been done, however, then careful manipulation of
the tuning pin is in order, paying attention to how the pin feels in the
pin block. This is where experience comes in and it is especially
helpful to have a tuning gig where you come in once or twice a week to
tune the same piano. If the unisons sound good after hard playing or
changes in the temp/humidity, that would indicate you have a solid
technique. The trick is to approach the tuning of each string of a
unison with the same technique.

Of course there are concert situations which will require some heavy
test blows for security's sake. My point is to minimize the amount of
pounding in general which can take its toll on body parts, ears and
nerves. Also it makes no sense to pound on a Wurlitzer spinet that gets
gentle playing by a 7-year-old girl, an old upright with brittle strings
and cedar hammer shanks, or a Betsy Ross spinet with plastic elbows.

Tom Cole