[pianotech] Test Blows

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 07:29:01 MDT 2009

Well, Paul. I thought I had indirectly made that distinction. <G> But
yes, I use light to medium blows as I'm tuning, then a firm blow for
testing.

It's a good idea to let your arm and hand tell you when you're hitting
too hard. We struggle to remember that a pianist cannot use more force
in playing than we do in our test blows. They can make that soundboard
vibrate like crazy, and that might shake some things loose. But if we
have done a good tuning (and not tried to make too large of a pitch
correction during the tuning), things will be fine.

My personal opinion is that stability is more about knowing how to
move the tuning lever than whacking the heck out of the string. There
are not an infinite number of ways to leave a tuning pin and string.
It's all about finding the one spot where they are most stable.

--
JF