[pianotech] Hearing Protection

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 8 08:59:28 MDT 2009

A few months ago I read an article in MIX magazine (high end recording and
concert sound reinforcement) where sound protection was discussed. It stated
that the ear protects itself after hearing a loud noise by clamping down
with the muscles around the bones in the inner ear. This prevents loud
sounds from further damaging our hearing. However, it takes **twenty-four
hours** for those muscles to let go and return hearing to normal. That is
why everything sounds muffled after a rock concert or target shooting (or
both, if you are Ted Nugent).

I wear custom made Westone musicians earplugs with a 9 db filter. Acoustic
energy-wise it cuts the energy to around a third, it seems to me that the
sound seems about half as loud. I explain to my customers it is like wearing
sunglasses: your iris opens in order to give you greater focus. As my ear is
relaxed, I feel I hear more details, not less.

If you have some upper end hearing loss, I suppose it could make it more
difficult to hear high frequencies. Most of us will get there someday, I
just hope I am putting that day off for a bit longer.

Dave Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA