[pianotech] Haynes baby grand

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Sat Sep 12 12:46:15 MDT 2009

The bottom line is: Is the customer willing to pay for the work to be done? Two examples. Yesterday I looked at a 30 year old Howard spinet. Rusty strings,?all the hammers felts have come loose from the moldings, and the rubber grommets?are all hard. I quoted the lady $500 for the?work, and told her flat out it wasn't worth doing. But the piano belongs to her mother, who is having an 80th birthday party in a couple of weeks, and wants the piano to play. It was bought by the mother's husband when they first got married. I'm working on the action this weekend, and returning on Tuesday to put it together and tuning it.

?

Another case was 20 years ago. A Brambach 4'10" grand that needed a new pin?block and refinished. The cost of doing it was three times the value. To me the piano sounded blah. but the customer?said it was the best playing and sounding?piano he had ever encountered.?No sentiments, he just thought it was a great piano, and worth investing money into.
One of the things I?found when it was torn down was that the plate had cracked at the bass/tenor break, and had been epoxy welded. Not a great job, but it held.

If you explain in dollars and cents why it shouldn't be done, but the customer insists, for what ever reason, to have the work done, do the best you can do, and reap the benefits.?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943